12th Annual People’s Choice Podcast Awards
The 12th annual Podcast Awards is upon us and as promised we have conducted a complete re-write of the rules along with a complete site rebuild. These rules represent the most extensive changes in the history of the Podcast Awards. Please review the new rules for 2017 -- we hope this change will create an opportunity for more shows to win a podcast award.
While no awards process is perfect, the inputs we received from hundreds of podcasters required the changes we have made. Our goal will be to do minor tweaks as we go and hope that the awards process will satisfy the majority of podcasters who have supported us over the years.Official Timeline
- Podcaster Registration, May 1-July 31
- Listener Nomination Period, July 1-July 31
- Slate Announcement Aug. 12
- Slate Voting, Aug. 13-Sept. 15
- Awards Ceremony, Sept. 30
Spirit of the Podcast Awards
It's the spirit of the Podcast Awards for individual shows to work with their audiences independently to ask for nominations for a Podcast Award. That said, shows often collaborate -- aka team up with other shows -- to get each of their audiences to nominate a specific slate of shows and maximize the number of listener nominations. Networks are allowed to work together with the following caveat that applies to all.
The podcast awards committee reserves the right to disqualify any show or network of shows the committee feels violates the spirit of the Podcast Awards or bring discredit to the awards or the process. The Podcast Awards committee decision on disqualification will not come lighty but will be final, a disqualified show can appeal disqualification in writing within 48 hours to firstname.lastname@example.org. Disqualification will result in forfeiture of the registration fee and the Podcast Awards committee may and can invoke multi-year suspensions from future participation.
Expressly forbidden are automated program, web assist templates that interact with the Podcast Awards site, web overlays, bookmarklets; and no nomination tool or macro is allowed. The podcast committee reserves the right to revise and amend forbidden activity details at any time throughout the awards process.
Podcasters can and should provide instructions in their shows and on their sites instructing their audiences on how to register and nominate their podcast.
Nomination Rules and Eligibility
- Any show podcasting on or before July 1, 2017, with a minimum of 10 published episodes is eligible to register and be nominated for the 2017 Podcast Awards.
- Legacy Shows as listed on the Legacy Page are not eligible to win a category podcast award. If a legacy show has not yet won a People's Choice Podcast Award the show will be automatically registered to participate in the People's Choice Category.
- All registered shows will automatically be eligible to be nominated in the People's Choice Category. Any show wishing to be eligible to be nominated can register via the registration page until the nomination closing date and pay via PayPal the $10 registration fee.
- Shows that do not register are not eligible to participate. The registration fee is non-refundable.
The Registration Period
The 2017 registration window is May 1 to July 31. Note: Be aware that the listener nomination period opens July 1 and your show will not be added or shown on the nomination page until you register.
The Nomination Period
Listeners can register on the Podcast Awards site to nominate their favorite registered shows through a web-based form between July 1 and July 31. Be aware that once a nomination has been made in a specific category, that category will be closed to the nominator and no changes can be made. Listeners have the full 30 days to nominate a show in each of the categories.
Podcast Awards Slate Determination
The slate of nominated shows to be voted on will be determined by the number of nominations each show receives during the nomination period. The nomination committee -- made up of three Podcast Awards team members -- will review the top 10 nominated shows, validate eligibility and certify the slate to be announced no later than Aug. 12. Each category will have up to 10 eligible shows to be voted on.
Podcast Awards Voting
The biggest change to the Podcast Awards is that there is no longer any daily voting by the public at large. Voting will now be done as outlined below.
The Podcast Awards voting team will be made up as follows:
- The Podcast Awards Committee will invite journalists, podcast thought leaders, legacy podcasters, sponsors and individuals of the committee’s choosing to vote, not to exceed 50 participants.
- Through random selection, 50 of the 2017 registered podcasters will be asked to review and vote with a backup pool of registered podcasters to ensure 50 podcasters cast ballots.
- Through random selection, 250 registered listeners who volunteered to vote during registration will be asked to review and vote with a backup pool of registered listeners to ensure 250 listeners cast ballots.
This panel of 350 podcasters, listeners, journalists, thought leaders and sponsors will independently review and vote to determine a winner in each category. In the event of a voting tie, the show with the most nominations will be awarded the category.
Final voting results will be verified by One Technologies and submitted to the Podcast Committee. In the spirit of the Podcast Awards, vote totals will not be posted, nor will they be revealed. Shows that make the slate are all equally honored for having an engaged audience.
2017 Podcast Awards Ceremony
The Podcast Awards ceremony will be held on International Podcast Day, Sept. 30, during a one-hour segment to be announced. The show will be produced live.
All shows that make the final slate are required to submit a 90-second maximum acceptance video on the premise that they have won no later than Sept. 23. The video shall be in mp4 or mov HD format @ 720 or 1080. It will be submitted through an online submission form that we will be made available via email when the final slate is announced.
If the final slate nominee fails to submit their 90-second acceptance speech and is the winner the podcast will forfeit and the award will go to the second place show. Do not let down the listener who nominated you by not submitting your winning video.